Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Flourocarbon/Braid (Read 7019 times)
Terry
WBC Member

Flourocarbon/Braid
01/16/14 at 22:55:12
Quote Print Post  
What flouro are you guys using?  What have you tried, liked, disliked?  Just trying to get a pulse.  Have never bought it before and was thinking of getting some.  But, it's expensive and trying to narrow down the choices a little.  Thanks.

Same question for braid, thanks.

Team A$$pocket!!"
Old Paid For Boat" pro staff

IP Logged

Glenn_May
WBC Member

Re: Flourocarbon/Braid
Reply #1 - 01/22/14 at 21:57:58
Quote Print Post  
For braid, I like both the Sufix 832 and Seaguar Kanzen.

For straight fluorocarbon, I like the Seaguar Invizx, but a cheaper alternative is the Yo-Zuri Hybrid.  It's not 100% fluoro, but has similar characteristics and is more abrasion resistant.  It's like P-Line, only better.

The people that hate you, don’t know you.  They dislike the funhouse mirror image they have of you.
IP Logged

Terry
WBC Member

Reply #2 - 01/23/14 at 05:47:07
Quote Print Post  
Thanks for the input.

Team A$$pocket!!"

IP Logged

bassparagus
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

I'm the reason why fish
don't sleep.

Reply #3 - 02/02/14 at 06:04:26
Quote Print Post  
Flourocarbon:

Go with Yozuri H2O, or Hi-Seas Quattro. The Yozuri is a little more wiry but incredibly indestructible. Take It from me i catch big fish on it all the time. The only knot I use with it is the Palomar (with some spit) Trilene, improved trilene or clinch type knots tend to fray it, when tightening up the knot; no matter how much spit you put on it.  Wink

The Quattro is a little softer and more managable line that is not one solid color. It is 4 different colors that breaks up the visual pattern of a solid line coming from the surface, and blends into the surroundings. I have not yet found a knot that doesn't work with it. It's a little more pricey but you can find it on Ebay or TW sometimes on sale. The bonus is it is thinner and is made in a camo pattern so you can upsize your line without the fish knowing! I love this stuff! I'm still experimenting with it on the big ones tho. I don't think it has the brute strength the H2o does. But feel free to upsize a couple lbs of test if you want the fish won't even know it's there.

Braid:

POWER PRO. It's round, it's what you want. Tie a palomar. Check your knot every once in a while for frays re-tie when you see your line fraying.

When using braid fill about 1/3 rd of your spool with cheap mono. It will save you money and line and time. Braid will tend to dig into your spool more if you don't; and it actually can slip around your spool.  Meaning your spool is stopped but the entire spool of line is spinning around the stopped spool.

Don't buy cheap Flouros. they suck I've wasted a bunch of money trying to find a good cheap one. There isn't one. I've tried Suffix I have to say it does not compare to either of these lines.

IP Logged

bassparagus
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

I'm the reason why fish
don't sleep.

Reply #4 - 02/02/14 at 06:09:54
Quote Print Post  
I wasn't saying the suffix braid is bad but the flouro is no good. Just to clarify. And when fishing lighter lines like 6lb and 8lb go with seaguar invizex. Don't put anything bigger than 8lb on a spinning reel; and 8 is pushin' it.  I use the YoZuri H2o and the Quattro lines on my baitcasters only.

IP Logged

bassparagus
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

I'm the reason why fish
don't sleep.

Reply #5 - 02/02/14 at 06:44:47
Quote Print Post  
And remember even a "soft" flouro is more wirey than your toughest mono. That's why you don't wanna put more than 8lb on a spinning reel. If you wanna use a higher test spool with a 20 or 30 lb braid and then tie on a flouro leader. You can use as heavy of a leader as you want but anything higher than 8lb on a spinner tends to be unmanigable. It will twist up alot and cause you headaches when you cast.

IP Logged

kwikstrom24
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/22/14 at 23:50:31
Quote Print Post  
For me, its Seaguar Invisx for fluoro and Sufix Preformance Braid for braid. Havent tried too many, but from what Ive tried, these are my favorites.

IP Logged

Glenn_May
WBC Member

Reply #7 - 03/01/14 at 05:21:44
Quote Print Post  
I've been trying the new Seaguar Smackdown braid and, man, I'm impressed.  Really good stuff so far.  I'm looking forward to putting it through the paces at Potholes.

And to the point above, I use 6-lb fluoro on my spinning reels.  Although I have been testing 10-lb braid on one setup for specific techniques.

The people that hate you, don’t know you.  They dislike the funhouse mirror image they have of you.
IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #8 - 03/27/14 at 03:40:00
Quote Print Post  
Power Pro braid in 10lbs with either 6-8lb Seagur Invizx on my spinning reels and 12+lbs on my baitcast.

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

Glenn_May
WBC Member

Reply #9 - 03/27/14 at 03:56:47
Quote Print Post  
I should correct myself.  I'm using 6-lb Yo-Zuri on my spinning reels, not fluoro.  But on baitcasters, it's basically fluoro except for flipping/pitching/swim jigs.  Then it's braid. 

One exception is my spinnerbait rod.  For some reason, fluoro and spinnerbaits are a bad mix for me.  I performed a few 400 yd casts before I switched to Yo-Zuri. LOL!

Note too, that braid and rocks aren't a good combination. Don't ask why I know.  Wink

IP Logged

Chris B.
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/27/14 at 05:26:31
Quote Print Post  
For flouro I have sticked with Seaguar, from day 1 really.  I like the Invizx, the Abrazx just seems thicker to me in the same lb test.  I believe the reviews on the Red Label aren't that great, I woudn't buy red label. 

Braid I don't use all that often but when I do (frogs and topwater mostly) I have done good with PowerPro and some Stren Super Braid.  Just make sure after you set that hook and bring in that big fish, you're next cast isn't a long bomber cast or you'll be in trouble.  The braid digs into the spool no matter what really, so be careful.

IP Logged

Glenn_May
WBC Member

Reply #11 - 03/28/14 at 04:03:11
Quote Print Post  
When you spool the braid onto the reel, really crank it on there tight - I mean hard tight.  Your fingernail shouldn't be able to penetrate the line on the reel.  It should feel solid.

If you do that, then the braid won't dig in and backlashes will be manageable.

IP Logged

Chris B.
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/30/14 at 06:09:30
Quote Print Post  
Glenn_May wrote on 03/28/14 at 04:03:11:
When you spool the braid onto the reel, really crank it on there tight - I mean hard tight.  Your fingernail shouldn't be able to penetrate the line on the reel.  It should feel solid.

If you do that, then the braid won't dig in and backlashes will be manageable.

That's true, until you make that first cast.  Half way back to the boat you get bit, that part of the line is not tight anymore, braid digs in.

IP Logged

Terry
WBC Member

Reply #13 - 04/21/14 at 17:39:29
Quote Print Post  
On spinning gear, do you use braid to flouro leader or straight flouro?

Team A$$pocket!!"

IP Logged

Glenn_May
WBC Member

Reply #14 - 04/22/14 at 01:26:29
Quote Print Post  
I use braid on spinning sometimes, but not straight fluoro.  Flouro tends to have memory issues, and cause problems with coiling on spinning gear.

Chris - never had a problem with braid digging in once I learned how to spool it on tight.  Even on tough snags and hard hooksets.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo