Normal Topic Clear Lake Trip (Read 2020 times)
basspro
Ex Member

Clear Lake Trip
03/23/08 at 06:11:16
Quote Print Post  
Working on the pictures now. Pat is going to e-mail them to me and then I am going to post.

We fished the Delta after the FLW event and the fishing was okay but weather went south after that event with colder temps and high wind. We fished there for 3-1/2 days we were supposed to stay a week but decided to head north to Clear Lake for the last 3 days of the trip and that was one very good decision.

At the Delta we probably caught 30-40 fish total and most of them ran between 2-1/2lbs to 4-1/2 lbs with 4 nice stripers caught. All caught during outbound tide and on crankbaits. Only caught 4 fish flipping jigs in tulies. Water was real muddy- looked like Mississippi river water.

Got to Clear Lake on tuesday eve and next morning headed out and stuck 23lbs for I and Pat's best and only 5 fish. Pat stuck 4 had one close to 7lb and my one fish was over 5lb. Wind came up and got real nasty so we headed back to hotel early. Talked to a couple of guides and they said they caught a bunch of dinks and locals were struggling as well. So I was happy with what we caught cuz the bite was tuff. Caught fish on Senko's and a secret bait.

Next day, thursday we boat only 3 for about 12lbs wind was worse. My two were on a Swimbait and Pats one fish was on a crankbait.

Friday my goal was to stick all of my fish on a swimbait so thats all I threw for about 4 hours. It worked as I stuck 4 fish for around 16 lbs and Pat stuck one about 3.  I missed about 8-10 fish as the fish would come up and slap the bait and not get hooked.

This was my 2nd time on Clear Lake and never had fished it in March. When we started the water temp was 56-57 and the last 2 days the temps were running dead on 52. And all of these fish were caught in less than 10 feet of water.

I can tell you that this will become an anuall trip as I am planning on doing this trip again next year in mid to late April next year but just only hitting Clear Lake. I hope several of WBCer's can go as well because its the best lake on the west coast and April is a prime month for catching that 10+lb fish.

i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk22/basspro1_photos/100_1009.jpg

i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk22/basspro1_photos/100_1067.jpg

i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk22/basspro1_photos/100_1018.jpg

i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk22/basspro1_photos/100_1033.jpg

i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk22/basspro1_photos/100_1031.jpg
« Last Edit: 03/25/08 at 02:02:07 by »  

IP Logged

Varmint
Ex Member

Re: Clear Lake Trip
Reply #1 - 03/24/08 at 01:26:36
Quote Print Post  
This was an awsome trip! The Delta was a tough bite but I learned a lot about pitching and fishing current. The hill counry we passed through just before getting to Clear lake is stunning, as is the lake and surrounding area. The potential of this lake in April is huge. I also hope to get back there next year.
Again, I have to say this was one of the best vacations I have taken.

IP Logged

Tubetric
Forum Member

The fun of fishing is
the friends you make!!!!!!!!

Reply #2 - 03/24/08 at 01:50:04
Quote Print Post  
I will agree with you on the best lake in the country on that one. I was there last year for the FLW stren. I had a blast fishin it. There are so many big fish in that lake it is a shame. You can catch them so many ways but swimbaits are the bait to get big ones on. I plan to fish the stren this year in my boat as I have learned alot about that lake. I do recomend going in april as the fish are really on the beds then.

&& &&

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/25/08 at 02:10:15
Quote Print Post  
Pics are up!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

Xsftballer
Forum Member

St. Croix Rods Pro Staff,
Anglers Marine Pro Staff

Reply #4 - 03/25/08 at 03:00:53
Quote Print Post  
Good stuff! Thanks for the info and I can't wait until Thursday this week when we leave for Clear Lake! This will be the sixth trip to Clear Lake for me. I will be missing Henry and Angie this time. They have always gone down this time of year and it won't be the same without them.

Come on 10 POUNDER!!!!

"The key to fishing swimbaits is to just throw them!" That's about all I will be throwing while I am there for 7 days of fishing. Maybe a jig or two also.

Misunderstood

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo